Thursday, April 23, 2009


What the hell are those soccer hooligans thinking? It seems to me that calling the rival camp of idiots on their cell phones to meet in some pour guy's bar or in some town where people are trying to sleep is nothing short of the poorest excuse to have a war éver.

No, I don't understand sports. Yes, I am a woman. If men enjoy watching other men (in shorts!) running around on a field while chasing a little black and white ball: fine with me. It keeps you fit. I like my men to be in shape. No problems so far.

But when it comes to men using a soccer team as a replacement of their own identity, as I have witnessed them do, I just get sad and discouraged about the fate of mankind. Grown men with tattoos of 'their' soccer team, who are nervous about the next game days in advance and heartbroken when their team loses. I don't get it. I just really, really don't.

To me, it is the most unattractive thing in the whole world if a man lacks an identity of his own in such a way that he just adopts the identity of a sports team. Or that of a political party, corporation or band.

But the epitomy of sad is when he combines this lack of self with an overdose of testosterone, and invents a little war between 'his' team and the other. All in order to feel like a man for once.

It just makes me sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment