Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Sakura, baby!


Although I had been planning to get a tattoo since I was about 12 years old, it was still quite the shocker when the tattoo-artist I had 'chosen' texted me last monday. He'd had a cancellation, and was therefor able to do my tattoo the next day!

My tuesday was one of total terror. My stomach hurt all day long, because I was soooooo nervous. Was I ready for this? Was I making a huge mistake?

The thing is: all the tattoo-designs I drew for myself in the past decade or so, I kept in a drawer for about three months. My deal with myself was, that if I still liked it three months later, I'd get tattood.

Ofcourse, I never did still like what I saw when I opened the drawer again.

But the cherry blossom always struck me as beautiful, mainly because of it's double symbolism. In China, the cherry blossom is a symbol of female beauty. In Japan, it symbolizes how sweet but short life is. A very pretty alternative to the European memento mori-pictures.

So for the last year or so, I've been thinking about getting these pretty flowers. Not the toughest tattoo, but it suits me. Since I was a little girl, I could not understand why some people throw their lives away, seemingly without realizing that you only have one - mortal - life.

So I took my sketches to the tattoo shop. Before I realized it, three sakura flowers were on my back. I love them!





No comments:

Post a Comment