Monday, May 11, 2009

Hallelujah, Lisa!

Lisa Hordijk is a 21-year old Dutch girl blessed with a powerful and beautiful voice, full of character. She just won the Dutch talent show X-Factor. A minor miracle indeed. I think it is the first time someone who can really, truly sing won a show like that. Yay! Go Lisa!

Now Lisa is not stick thin. On the contrary, she's a big girl.

One of the X-Factor judges, record label owner Stacey Rookhuizen, managed to make my skin crawl with just one incredibly stupid remark. I'm sure the little twig didn't mean to, and I'm curious whether I'm the only one who picked it up.

Here goes. Here's what she said: "Lisa, you're an example to so many ... girls." She literally paused before the word 'girls'. She did!

Maybe it's my personal agression towards the ridiculously thin, but I can't help to think that what she really wanted to say was "You show other fat girls that they cán be popular."

Lisa only flinched for a nanosecond. In that nanosecond she still gave the twig a killer look of death though. Or maybe that was my imagination.

The thing is: who cares. It's so great that such an impressive voice will now be heard. I actually bought the mp3 of Lisa's first single, a cover of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah. It's one youtube already, ofcourse:

No comments:

Post a Comment